If you watch home improvement shows you may have noticed that many homes may be harbouring toxic fungus that needs to be removed. It may have started to grow in a bathroom and only be noticed when it is being renovated. Or, if a home has suffered a plumbing back up or had a flooded basement mold may have started to grow in areas that were submerged. Knowing which is toxic and when black mold removal needs to occur is one of the best ways to keep the air in your home clean and healthy for your family.
To find toxic fungus, look in damp areas. All mold, mildew and fungus does best when the environment is perpetually damp. The source of the moisture does not matter. It could be from leaking plumbing. It could even be from perennially damp air such as that found in a basement. Bathrooms are often a prime location where this problem can flourish.
Although it is called ‘black’mold there can often be a lot of green in this type of fungus as well. If you think that there is a problem, it can be a good idea to have a home expert look at it to tell whether or not you have a problem. It can spread quite quickly and infiltrate drywall, insulation and other structural elements of your home. Because it can spread easily it can be quite difficult to completely get rid of once it has become established in a structure.
There can be many different health problems that a fungal overgrowth can cause. Breathing problems can include a chronic cough or bronchitis. Asthma sufferers may find that they suffer repeated attacks and that their inhalers and medications are less effective. Headaches and dizziness can also result. If you suffer from these or you find you are feeling confused and generally ill you may want to make sure that it is not as a result of mold build up.
The way you will dispose of the fungus will really depend on how bad the build up is. A small amount of mold can be handled differently than a major infiltration. Cleaning surfaces with bleach can help. You need to make sure you are wearing protective gear that includes a respirator or mask. You should find out where the source of moisture is coming from and fix any sources such as leaking pipes. A dehumidifier is a great choice for basements where mold and mildew love to grow.
If there is a big patch or a lot of insulation, drywall and flooring are compromised you may be forced to remove the affected materials. They need to be wrapped and disposed of very carefully so that nothing else becomes affected. You may need to speak with a mold removal expert who can clean up the mess. If it is a result of a sewer back up insurance may pay for the removal expenses.
Trying to keep the problem under control takes attention and effort. You want to remove the mold itself and prevent it from returning. You may find that as soon as it is no longer in your home that you begin to feel better more quickly than you might expect.