As with almost any type of cosmetic surgery, stomach liposuction has its own risks and side effects as well that patients should be aware of. Once you have decided to go through the process of removing fats from certain body areas in order to look slimmer and to lose weight, you should prepare yourself for the side effects that you may experience after the surgery. Here are some of the side effects involved in stomach liposuction:
- Swelling and Bruising: these side effects are among the most common side effects of stomach liposuction. The severity of the condition depends on the targeted area but for stomach liposuction, the bruising and swelling may reach even the genital area so you should be aware of such possibility. These side effects are often due to the gravity that pulls the fluids downwards. To reduce this, you can massage and compress the affected area.
- Wrinkling: this side effect would depend on your skin’s elasticity and how much liposuction can affect it. If you are susceptible to having stretch marks and you already have some, then there is a huge chance for you to develop some skin dimpling and wrinkling. Massage can help you minimize the condition and your surgeon can discuss with you the possibility of having wrinkles and the effectiveness of post-operative massage after going through stomach liposuction.
- Muscle Spasms: this is unavoidable, especially on the targeted area; however, this side effect can disappear quickly after the operation.
- Pain and Discomfort: this is often associated with the swelling and bruising and may occur after the surgery. You may experience feeling sore but it may disappear after several weeks of managing the side effects and consuming pain medications under the doctor’s supervision.
- Changes in Sensation: this is usually felt in and around the targeted area, where increased or decreased sensitivity is experienced. Massage is helpful in such cases and most of the changes in your sensation are not permanent although it may last for several months.
Aside from the side effects of stomach liposuction, there can be some severe complications as well. These often include fluid imbalance, infections, embolism, perforation, and allergic reactions to anesthesia. Although these conditions are rare, immediate medical attention is needed once you experience the symptoms of these side effects.
Liposuction is safe and effective in general and most people can really benefit from it. Stomach liposuction side effects or risks can be minimal if a professional surgeon handled you. However, if you are not prepared to go through these side effects, you may opt for natural methods of burning fats and losing weight by having a healthy diet and proper exercise.